How We Create Value
What We Do
The Economic Trust of the Southern Interior (ETSI-BC) uses its $50 million endowment from the Province of BC to contribute to stronger communities in the Southern Interior by helping build a strong and diversified economy. We work with the region’s local governments, economic development practitioners, non-profit business support organizations, post-secondary institutions, industry associations, and accelerators to grow and diversify our region’s economy. We partner with these organizations and provide grant funding on an ‘intake’ basis throughout the year to:
- Help expand economic opportunity in communities
- Assist our partners as they support local businesses
- Encourage entrepreneurship and the creation of meaningful jobs
- Connect the region’s post-secondary institutions to industry
- Provide support to key sectors of our region’s economy to innovate and be more sustainable.
We have a special focus on our region’s smaller and First Nations communities. In our funding approach, we encourage collaboration, regional thinking, and sustainability.
We envision a future for our region in which our strategic investments in economic development projects have long-lasting and measurable benefits, whereby:
- economic opportunities are expanded, especially in smaller and First Nations communities
- our investments create significant positive impacts across the region
- there is a strong and diversified economy in the Southern Interior that supports vital and sustainable communities throughout the region.
Creating Value for the Ecosystem
ETSI-BC creates value for the economic development ecosystem by facilitating meaningful connections, collaboration & sharing of best practices, and by stewarding its assets in the best interest of the region, maximizing our grant funding each year while protecting the Trust’s remaining capital for future generations.
We build and support collaborative networks throughout the Southern Interior by
- Working with our Regional Advisory Committees (RACs) to encourage engagement in the granting process
- Supporting regional Economic Development education
- Hosting regional economic development practitioner, post-secondary and lender forums to ensure dialogue and connections within the region and the inclusion of First Nations Economic Development entities in those gatherings and groups.
We ensure the ETSI-BC programs are relevant to the region’s stakeholders, through
- On-going engagement with stakeholders and RAC members
- Conducting an annual environmental scan as part of the strategic planning process
- Facilitating on-going engagement with grant recipients and partners, including satisfaction surveys and needs assessments.
We provide effective stewardship of the capital assets, brand, internal operations, and partnerships of ETSI-BC to ensure long-term viability and credibility, by
- Effectively stewarding the organization and the funds in its investment portfolio
- Creating and building a strong brand and relationships with partners and funders
- Maximizing our commitment to partnerships through all activities.
We help build economic development capacity and knowledge, through
- Support for regional economic development networking and dialogue
- Support for economic development training
- Access to relevant economic development research sources and services that can be made available for Southern Interior communities.
We'd love to hear from you!
201 - 384 Bernard Avenue, Kelowna, BC V1Y 6N5
Phone: 236-420-3680 ext. 0